Musical Improv with Laura Hall from Whose Line is it Anyway?
Have you always wondered, “How do they improvise the songs on “Whose Line Is It Anyway?” If so then join with “Whose Line's” musical director Laura Hall, and veteran Second City improviser Rick Hall for an Intro to Music Improv Workshop.
Laura & Rick have taught Music Improv all over the U.S. and Canada. They create a supportive, playful environment, starting with games and warm-ups to ease into singing.
Even if you've never done song improv before, you'll build vocal confidence and learn to listen to each other and the accompaniment. And if you're already experienced with song improv, we'll stretch your skills and help you explore all sorts of fun new ways to use music. Before you know it, you'll be belting out your own great improvised songs!
Here is some of the material we'll cover:
- Warming up and why it’s important; the care and use of your voice.
- Building vocal confidence: exploring melody, rhythm, discovering your natural voice, ways to help if you’re not an experienced singer.
- Finding your own way of approaching a musical accompaniment, and your own take on the subject matter.
- Music improv as a natural extension of scenic work: exploring character, location, story, etc. to create rich and interesting songs.
- Ensemble singing: Listening, watching, taking turns, coming to a chorus, intro to harmony singing.
- Rhyming exercises and games such as Irish Drinking Song and Hoedown.
Time & Place
Date: Wednesday, March 11, 2020
Time: 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Location: Intrepid Theatre Club, 2-1609 Blanshard Street
Maximum Students: 18
Cost: $110 plus GST ($115.50 including GST)
Prerequisite: Previous improvisational theatre experience.
Tickets available HERE